Sunday, October 19, 2008

No One Can Say Matt's Chilies Aren't Hot

Well, 2 weeks ago we had a kitchen fire. Matt was making chili rellenos, which he has never made. He had the oil too hot and the lid on. The oil started smoking, so, being that he has never heated oil, he called me in the kitchen to take a look. I told him that the temperature was too hot and the lid does not need to be on and I then proceeded to turn down the heat and lift off the lid. At that point, the oil started on fire. Matt's first instinct was to pour water on it and we all know now that you are not supposed to do that, but at the time, it was just a quick solution....or so he thought. The fire literally exploded from there and Matt and I both remember running out of the kitchen with fire over our heads covering the ceiling and heat on our backs. We grabbed the kids and ran. Matt kept going back in to put the fire out as I yelled at him to get out. He and our neighbor ended up saving our house. We stayed in a hotel for a week while the smoke was cleaned from everything and now are in the process of getting our kitchen remodeled. What a crazy couple of weeks it has been! The girls were great the whole time and slept in pack n' plays during our hotel stay. Thank God we are all ok! I don't think Matt will ever heat oil again.
The girls after their bath in the hotel

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Cute, cute, Kalisa:)

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness, Kalisa! I'm glad that you guys are ok, but how scary! I guess now Matt will have a good excuse if you ever ask him to cook. The girls are looking great--they are so cute!
~Lindsay C in CA :)

Colorado Banksons said...

Wow! That sounds intense! We're glad you guys are all ok and better just go out for the relleno in the future :-) We should do dinner sometime soon...we'll give you a call.